Monday, May 26, 2014

Please Keep Your Germy Kids Home!


This one goes out to The Chihuahua and his parents, who saw fit to send him to school hacking up a lung today. I had to check to make sure it wasn't some vagrant chain-smoking Chinese guy that had wandered into my classroom. Nope, it was The Chihuahua, coughing away on everyone around him. So I show him to cover his mouth when he coughs. I tell the whole class to please remember not to cough all over the place, especially not on me. I've been sick since last week and if you've never had the pleasure of being sick while pregnant, then let me just explain how much it sucks. IT SUCKS. BAD. Everyone else can take medicine, except you!

As I've been teaching over here, I can't help but notice how many moms just think it's ok to send their sick child to school. Raelynn was sick this weekend. We took her to the doctor and he told us that it was ok to let her go to school as long as her fever didn't come back. I also taught Raelynn to cover her cough. She's 3. My students are 7. Yet, very few of my students remember to cover their coughs and sneezes and just spray everyone in the vicinity. It's no wonder I'm so sick.

I did the responsible thing, and we were prepared to have my in-laws come and stay with her should she be unable to go to school. When moms at my school send their kids in with a serious cough and no medicine (proving they'd gone to a doctor for treatment), it makes me extra angry. Not just because their children are infecting everyone else, including me, though that is a huge part of it. But it's because NONE of them work. They shop. They get their nails done. They get their hair done. They lunch. Except for the handful that have younger children to care for at home, these women have nothing to do. Would it KILL them to watch their sick children? I should also point out, many have an ayi. That's the Chinese word for an aunt or a nanny who comes to cook and care for the children. Some of the better ones actually clean and have been trained to clean properly and not like how MIL cleans for example.

After being coughed on again, I told Christina my Korean teacher who explained to the children why it was extra important not to cough on me. Yet, several other times, this germy kid coughed on me some more. And I can tell you, it was not malicious. This kid is too dippy to do anything so diabolical. Christina asked me to write a note to his parents about his coughing and tell them to take him to a doctor to treat whatever is wrong with him. She also asked me to please make sure to tell them not to send him to school when he's sick. Done and done.

This makes up for the other day. And in case you were wondering about that situation, just as I predicted, Heathen didn't get his lollipop today. He didn't even ask about it. But if he had, it would have been a no-go. He, quite deliberately, scratched one of the girls on her arm. Like a cat. Yeah. I've got one weird group of kids this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment