Sunday, August 12, 2012

With A Little Help From My Friends (Updated!)

While very cute, these two little girls are not my friend Beth or me. I don't have any photos of us as kids together. Most of my photos are back home in my parents' garage which I will likely get a lecture about when they come visit in a couple months. Sorry Mom and Dad!

Do you remember your first childhood friend? I do. I was lucky enough to live down the street from Beth Gewirtzman. Our moms were friends before either of us were born. I can't remember a time when I didn't know her. Beth and I always played together after school. We would go swimming. Or play dress up. We'd even have lip syncing contests using Cyndi Lauper and Madonna tapes. It was SUCH fun! When I think back on my childhood, I really do cherish those special times with Beth.

Beth and I grew up of course and stayed in touch a bit. Somewhere around college though, I lost touch with her. And see, THIS is why I love Facebook because now lost friends can be found. It is all too easy to get busy with your life and accidentally lose touch with people you care about. Imagine my absolute delight when I found her again!

Only to be greatly saddened when I did. For this kind, smart and loving friend has been suffering for the last 10 years from interstitial cystitis (IC). It won't kill her but she is in constant pain from this disease. Beth would be grateful to wake up healthy again. I get angry with myself when I wake up and find something to complain about in my life - the way people are here, my MIL, the baby making a mess after I just cleaned, having to go back to work after vacation - because Beth would give anything to just live her life normally.

I want so badly to help her. So I'm doing what I can from here and asking you my dear friends, family and other readers of this blog, if you can donate any amount, please click this link to make a donation in Beth's name. If you can't, that's okay too. I'm not going to come kick your ass or anything, though I probably should for something or another. Anyway, thank you for taking a moment out of my usual sarcastic rants to read a serious one and if you can help Beth, I really truly thank you from the bottom of my heart.

UPDATE (June 22, 2013)
I'm so sad to say that my wonderful beautiful friend, Beth Gewirtzman, passed away on June 10, 2013. I have been wanting to update this post for nearly 2 weeks but my heart was so heavy with hurt from hearing this terrible news. I hope she is no longer suffering and I send my deepest condolences to her whole family. I will never forget her and I will always try to keep in mind what she'd told me a few months ago: appreciate your health. How very true. If you wake up, and you are healthy, then no matter what you are going through, you can get through it. Rest in peace, sweet friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment