Saturday, March 8, 2014

Oh Baby! It's A...


Ok, I know you're all gagging to know about my 20-week ultrasound. I have been dying to know what's been growing inside me all this time. In China, they don't reveal the gender due to the one-child policy. But that doesn't apply to us. Still, it can be difficult to get them to tell you the gender of your baby.

If you want to know what we're having, keep on reading, or cut to the end of this short post to find out. I don't care. Just don't be a big mouth and post "OMG! I can't believe you're having a..." on my Facebook page. You can comment directly on this blog all you want though.

Once we got to the hospital, my doctor was leaving. Her husband was ill and she had to go care for him. Our doctor told us that another doctor we like was also on duty and she'd see us for our next ultrasound in 4 weeks. I was a bit hesitant. After all, my doctor had told us she would not keep the gender a secret. But perhaps the other doctors might be more guarded.

We went into a different ultrasound room than usual. This one is better, with a TV mounted on the wall so you can simultaneously see what's happening. In the other room where I had my last scan, I had to tell them to turn the monitor toward me so I could see. That was when I saw that the doctor was not lying to me...our child was mooning us.

Determined not to get mooned again, I gobbled a bunch of chocolate before we went into the ultrasound room. That proved to be quite a smart move. The baby was very active, dancing about in there, not like I couldn't feel it. My husband and I watched carefully as the doctor performed the scan. She showed us the head, arms, hands, and then she moved further down. "OH GOD. Is that a penis?!?" I shout. "PENIS?!?" echoes Jeremy. And the nurse stares at us, strangely as if "penis" is the only English word she knows and she is embarrassed to hear it screamed in her presence. But then I see it looks more like the umbilical cord. Or is it? Hmmm...

So I ask my husband to ask her and she tells him she doesn't know. It's hard to tell. Hard to tell at 20 weeks? Bitch, please. I tell her not to lie to my face. This shit might pass with these imbecilic women here but it won't work on my ass. She's afraid she'll get in trouble but little does she realize she's thisclose to having me hit her upside the head with my purse.

Now I'm concerned. Penis or umbilical cord? I feel cheated and I don't want to leave without an answer. We go back in to where the other doctor is and my husband tries to find out for me if she can tell us. He tells me to be patient and sit quietly so I do, feeling my heart bang in my chest. I HAVE TO KNOW.

And if you HAVE TO KNOW too, here it is...
The doctor tells us that it is "most likely" (yes, they used "most likely" because they say we will be able to be more certain during the next ultrasound in 4 weeks and certain during the 4-D ultrasound in 8 weeks) a:
A GIRL.

I am so happy and so excited, yet I don't want to get too happy and excited in case they are wrong or just telling me what I want to hear to make me happy. But it hopefully is another sweet little girl, just like I've been dreaming of.

No comments:

Post a Comment