Sunday, February 12, 2012

Changing Lanes


The other night, as my husband and I were reading in bed, he turns to me and says suddenly, "I don't want to be Lane anymore."
"Oh, no?" I ask. "What English name would you rather have then?"
"Aileen."

God, how I love this man. I explained to him that Aileen was a woman's name, although now as I type this I can't help but wonder if he was trying to pronounce "Alan." Anyway, he's now on the hunt for a new English name. So no more Lane. I asked him why he didn't want to be Lane anymore. After all, he had decided to use that name in the first place.

"It sounds too much like this," he says while we're out to lunch and gestures at some lamb chops. "Lamb. It's just 'Lane' and that's it. One sound. It makes me think of a 'pabo.'" I think I've mentioned countless times in this blog that 'pabo' is Korean for 'stupid.' We're always using this word in our daily conversations, no matter which language we're speaking in. Most of what we say is randomly peppered with pabos.

Anyway, it's his choice if he prefers to change it of course. I liked Lane. I had gotten used to calling him that. But if he'll be happier with a different name, then I must help him. We looked up a few websites that had baby names. He'd read down the list.
"Dade," he muses, and I giggle. For one, he's pronounced it like "Dad" and for another, it is the county I am from back in America.
"Um, no. Let's try something else," I say kindly, "You said you didn't want one syllable anymore anyway, right?"

And on and on we look. From Andrew to Dalget and beyond. I think he might choose a name that begins with "J" so we can match. How cute is that? I'd love it. So, what will the husband formerly known as Lane choose to be called? Well, we will just have to wait and see. Of course, we might consider any suggestions from my readers who leave comments (here or on Facebook), or even via email.

1 comment:

  1. William - he can choose the one, two or three syllable version (bill, billy, william).

    ReplyDelete