Friday, July 22, 2011

Baby Bling


Tomorrow is a very exciting day for the Qu family. It will be Raelynn's 100-Day Celebration. In Chinese tradition, on the baby's 100th day, you throw a big party in hopes that it could lead to the baby living for 100 years. I know what you're thinking. I thought it too. Oh it's so mean, but yes, the thought crossed my mind that MIL might have had one of these parties way back when, and bless her old brainless heart, I just hope if she does live THAT long, that we live far, far, far, far, far, far, FAR away by then. I cannot imagine putting up with her when I'm in my seventies.

Anyway, back to the party. This is one of those Chinese traditions that I think is really nice. Of course, we'll need hand sanitizer to spray on all the relatives, but when Raelynn is big and looks back on all the pictures, I think it will make her happy. Besides, whether I like them or not, it's important for her to know her father's side of the family. And MIL of course is thrilled because she gets to do something useful. And, dare I say it, she's actually done a good job from what I can tell. She's reserved a room at a nice restaurant down the street from us and we'll all get to eat and drink while the relatives give presents to the baby. Well played, MIL.

As soon as I was told about this event, I went through Raelynn's closet to figure out what I'd dress her in. It's quite a momentous occasion so she has to wear something fabulous and look her best! I immediately grabbed for her dresses. She only has 3 dresses right now. All of them are darling, but two of them are just a little too big for her at this time. Thanks to my wonderful friend, Pam, the third one is an absolutely adorable Old Navy dress that fits Raelynn perfectly right now. Just look how cute she is (below)! And happy! She loves playing dress up already! I cannot even wait to take her clothes shopping when she's bigger.

I was so relieved I got to pick the outfit because MIL has some of the worst taste I have ever seen. But of course, she couldn't leave well enough alone, could she? I can't complain too much because it is a nice gesture, even if it is hideous and a bit tacky. She bought Raelynn jewelry, which I do like the idea of because Raelynn can always remember her grandma by it and can hopefully pass it on to her children someday. Anyway, MIL bought 2 matching bracelets which I actually think are alright, even if they look a little more like they should be on a little Chinese boy. It's the necklace (below) that's got me. It is so fug, right? Look at that thing! A giant gaudy chunk of silver adorned with a rabbit. And the bells! Gah! But on a more serious note, I'm worried Raelynn will try to eat the bells since her new thing is to eat her hands, blankets, rattles and anything else she can bring to her mouth.

I also left the price tags on so you can see how much she spent. In Asian culture, it is very acceptable, if not expected, to inquire how much someone spent on something. Here, you brag about how much you spent, which I try to accept but it is really hard to get used to. I find it so utterly rude still. Take a look at what all this cost. Each bracelet is 212 yuan (so 424 for both) and the necklace is 996 yuan. Yes, really. For most Chinese people, that is a LOT of money. Plus, she insisted on paying for this party, which cost her about 5,000 yuan. So now she's bragging she bought this expensive (but ugly as sin) jewelry for her grandchild. What's worse is I HAVE TO put this crap on my poor angel baby tomorrow or else I'd be a huge bitch. She paid for the party and now I'm being guilt-mailed into putting this junk on my baby. I know she doesn't have to wear it all the time but it just irks me that MIL complains about money and yet throws it away on shit like this that could be a potential choking hazard or a stroller we can't use due to it having more atomic mass than all the planets combined and us not living in a building with an elevator. And then she complains when "Lane" and I spend money on something that truly needs a large expense, like when we had the hot water installed in the sinks so we could properly sanitize our dishes or when we run the A/C because it is hot and humid outside. Isn't that why we BOUGHT the A/C? So in the 2 months that it is actually too hot here, we can avoid sweating to death?

I guess all I can do is continue to tune out her shrill, annoying voice and be happy for Raelynn. Her grandmother might be a troll with no sense of any kind (fashion, common, hygienic to name a few), but she has a big heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment